Sunday, June 13, 2010

Almost time to go home

It's been months since I've written - which I credit to really hitting my stride with research and with family visits and with many great outings with friends here, new and old.  A few highlights that I want to remember, should have written about along the way, and would love to share as I have a chance to talk to people who might have looked at this little blog - no particular order at all:
  • old friends understood anew, some who live here, and some who passed through
  • Gokokuji, in winter and spring
  • Evan and Lia getting good enough at Japanese that my phone conversations were no longer private
  • the school play
  • the joy of my research interviews - especially each really passionate professor that I met
  • Tokyo cafes
  • every moment of our trip to Korea
  • acupuncture!
  • What is architecture?
  • bunraku
  • miso shop
  • flowers-of-the month - kiku (chrysanthemums), tsubaki (camellia), sakura (cherries), fuji (wisteria), tsutsuji (azalea), ayame (iris), ajisai (hydrangea)
  • The Japan Sea coast
  • the rise and fall of the Hatoyama government
  • my addiction to The West Wing - and all the musicals, Ghibli, and other movies the kids and I watched
  • the absolute wisdom of sabbaticals, and my promises to myself to remember to rest regularly
Maybe I'll add a few more thoughts before we leave.  I know I'll try to have the kids do so, once they're through with school this week.  We've had a tremendous time, and grown stronger and richer in many different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment